Doing Math

February 22, 2014

Unlike most heroine in shoujo manga (and the stereotyping on girl in high school that come afterwards), I can say that my favorite subject is math.

I didnt like it at first when I was on elementary school. But one of my friend said that doing math is like solving a riddle. And I remember my mother started to teach math in a kind of cram school only for math subject so she can also taught me at home. Then, I get into a sempoa course for about 2 years. I think I'm getting along well with math ever since. I don't become a master in math or anything, it's just that I got used to it.

I remember doing my exercise book ahead of time on middle school and getting the highest score for my first test on high school (because I've learn the subject on middle school). I like the subject to the point that I choose it as my second major on university entrance test.

Until now, I believe that the only way to conquer the subject is to practice. By practicing, we will come to a point of understanding. It is important because by understanding one thoery, it is easier to understand another since it's all linked. And what I love about math is that it is something that has answers. No matter what kind of problem it is, there should be at least a way to solve it.

Another thing about math is that after a while, it will come to you naturally. What to read in a question, what is that all about, what kind of problem it was, what to do first, and what step that comes after. Doing math and finding the answer is a bit like advanced a level in Candy Crush. It's exciting and satisfying and makes me want to do more.

So, a couple of days ago, I was thinking about that and comparing it to my current job. I was watching my principal works as the thought hits me. Doing my job is a bit like doing math. Practicing has a big role in order to be used to it (and I dont say to mastered it) and after a while (though it may take longer that what it takes on doing math) it will come naturally as I become used to it.

There's so many things to think of like, how does it look like, how to get people to walk there, how to build that, how to make it works and so on. But so does math, I remember imagining a way out before actually writing my solution on paper, and it was naturally happen. So I think, after a while, it will come just as natural.

I just need to go the extra mile.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Blog Archive