On the Weekend

November 26, 2016


As I worked Monday to Friday from 9 to sometime-after-7-but-definitely-not-the-day-after, I treat my weekend as sacred. Going out on weekend should be minimum, even more on Sunday. I would rather be at home, wishing for Monday to come slower.

What did I do at home, then? A lot. But mostly sleeping and streaming korean everything, from dramas to tv shows to idol performances. I can finish up to 6 episodes in one sitting, or a full episodes (with roughly 20 minutes per episode) of web dramas. Back then, for me, going out on weekend is exhausting. Why do I have to spend another time outside the house while I can do nothing at home? The time I use for going out is the time for catching up to sleeping and watching shows I had missed. It's like refreshing before another hectic weekdays.


Long story short, I spend most of my weekends at home. With occasional family's day out for dinner or grocery shopping or visiting relatives' house. But then, I brought some canvas pouches home (from my friend's wedding souvenir) and start doodling on it. It made me realize that I have things that I like to do, and I can do them without making me feel tired on the weekend.




I started with buying myself a watercolor set for brush lettering, and practice on it. Then, I made my long overdue traveling board. After that, I went book binding, reading more books on the weekend, visiting places (even if it's just malls with some friends), going to workshops, meeting people, decluttering my bookshelf, going out more often with my family, and the latest one, which I got hooked recently; crocheting.

Apparently spending my weekend doing something gave me an even more meaningful weekend. That not resting on the weekend is not draining, on the contrary, it is recharging. I got to do things that I thought I don't have time for, I'm having fun with myself, and since I only did those on weekend, I don't get bored with my activity. I can alternate between crocheting and book binding, or staying at home and going out or reading and watching my drama episodes.


Despite the initial purpose, spending time sleeping or idling in front of the screen watching some episodes actually makes me tired. Even more it makes the weekend goes faster (imagine that you start watching from 8 am, 3 episodes later, it's already 11. Meanwhile the lead actor haven't do anything yet). I learn that it's nice to have choices and it's even better when every choice is equally fun.

Cheers to more productive weekend ahead!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Blog Archive