Updates on Reading

September 29, 2018

Because it's been a long time since I write about books and still confidently stating on my profile that I am a lifetime reader, I thought it would be nice to update about my current reading situation.

So, this year, I have skipped two of the most awaited book fair in town : Big Bad Wolf 2018 last April and Indonesia International Book Fair last September. I have to admit that I can't spare my weekends going there because of other plans, but then again, it's been a while since I was properly reading something. I even had books from BBW 2017 I haven't read yet. Wow, that was new.

Anyway, these days, I've been going back on reading because I am contributing on another blog which demands me to read lots of things first before writing about a topic (the blog is on my sidebar, kindly check on that if you are interested in material and design ;)). And I just got a book I've ordered about a month or month and half ago finally delivered to me. I think that's what triggered me to read more and kind of regretting missed the IIBF couple weeks ago.

1. Wonder


Have you watch the movie? I haven't. And before watching the trailer on youtube, I have never had the interest to get a copy. But I watched it somehow and not long after that find a deal on instagram in which the book was sold on a deal (like, 60% of its actual price). I immediately order that (and my long awaited Emma Mills' latest release; Foolish Hearts which unfortunately can not be sent to me at the end) and the book finally arrived earlier this week.

I am not good with review, but all I can say is that this book is that one book that make you feel good.   about life. It has all that cliche messages like don't judge the book by it's cover and be kind because everyone is fighting their own battle, but one that hits me best is this one :

picture from here

I'm not wholeheartedly agree with this one since being right, or at least trying to be right for me, is something absolute. But in other context, it's true that we always have that choice to be kind. Why not saying thank you to your angkot/gojek driver on your destination? Why not hug your friend when they feel sad instead of questioning everything behind their back? Why don't call your parents on your free time and ask them how they are doing? We can choose to be kind in many situation possible.


I know I'm jumping on the mainstream bandwagon on this one. I have watched the movie last weekend and I loveee it. That and To All the Boys I've Loved Before is definitely two movies I have watch this year (yes, I don't watch movies that often, I only watch k-shows because I have that Viu app on my phone) and wouldn't mind to rewatch.

I was triggered to read the book after several articles saying that there are differences between the book and the movie. This one, I read the e-book version and already halfway through it. And already looove it. It might not quite quotable but I love how the story unfold. Also the setting makes me craving another holiday to Singapore, just because ;)

3. My To-Be-Read List

Since Wonder and Crazy Rich Asians, I thought I could go back to my reading mode (also to do 1 row of book photos on instagram, please don't judge ;D). I was actually starting to read Imperfect by Meira Anastasia but stopped halfway because I always have a hard time reading non-fiction and I don't want to push my way throught it for now (maybe I can continue reading that later). But because I don't want to turn the mode off, I make a To-Be-Read list :

- China Rich Girlfriend and Rich People Problems by Kevin Kwan - because I love the first one even though I haven't finished it yet. And everyone story is interesting! And the details are amazing, and of course it's entertaining.

- The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion - because I've been reading positive reviews about this book and it was on a very good deal (20K for a book from a clearance sale) even though it was a translated version. Along with this book, I also ordered Singapore Begins by Agata Barbara and Hello NY by Julia Rothman (eventhough the arrival of these packages are still unknown -,-)

- Foolish Heart by Emma Mills - definitely gonna have this one by the end of the year, once I got my refund.

Yay! I'm so excited about receiving packages of book I actually like! For now, I'm gonna settle with rearranging my bookshelf after leaving it for so long.

bye now! :D

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Blog Archive