Singapore Trip : Walking Around the Neighborhood

May 02, 2017

From the bus station accross the street of my hostel
Since my last Singapore Trip was kind of unplanned (like, tooootally unplanned, even more than my last Seoul-Busan trip), I search for my destination when I'm already arrived. And because I mostly travel alone, I can walk around the neighborhood of my destination and spend as much time as I want in the said destination.

1. Tiong Bahru


I've wanted to visit this neighborhood since 2014 because it is a neighborhood where Books Actually and Books in the Woods are located, and there are several articles said that mention this neighborhood on their walking trip post. I didn't go to the Tiong Bahru Plaza or its new food place though since my destination was the bookstores, and the day was so hot and since I didn't had proper breakfast I was literally shaking with hunger (cue to run to the nearest McD). But even with that, I still have a rather satisfying walking trip around the neighborhood.




2. Arab Street and Haji Lane



I actually missed this very popular Singapore destination on my first visit that I made this my first destination on my recent trip. I went here late in the afternoon, after checking in on my hostel just to spend the rest of the day. My first impression was that the neighborhood is not as big as I expected, and since I'm alone (and a cheapskate and kind of confused since my internet connection wasn't working (at first. It works after a while)) I didn't really got into any restaurant or shops there. But since I was waiting for Maghrib time to pray in Masjid Sultan, I got to spend and explore the neighborhood a little bit longer than I would if I didn't; and it was pretty :)




One of my destination on my last day in Singapore was Singapore City Gallery. I went here last time, but I like the atmosphere of the neighborhood and also love the city scale-model that I want to visit the place again. 



While the area around Maxwell Street was under construction (that I hardly recognize it), I finally able to visit the Red Dot Design Museum (which apparently cost me 8SGD and, well... not really my favorite place :p). Since it was around midday, I search for mosque and found out that Al Abrar Mosque is located within walking distance from the museum, so I decided to go there first and found out that it was actually a nice walking trail with shaded and not so busy street and pretty shop houses along the street.


4. Emerald Hill

I literally found this neighborhood by accident since I was insisting on walking from Masjid Al Falah (located near Paragon Shopping Center) to Plaza Singapura (which is actually 1.1 km and the I-should-have-ride-the-bus thought upon arrival in Plaza Singapura). The street was uphill (that is how I got tired from walking the rest of the route to Plaza Singapura lol) but the houses were beautiful. It is said that the architecture has the Chinese-Baroque style, and it's actually very quiet and peaceful oasis within the busy and crowded Orchard street (aside from fully air conditioned Library @ Orchard I visit earlier :D).



5. Victoria Street and Middle Road

I didn't actually walk the whole street in a day like the other neighborhood I visit, but here's some places you can visit at once while you are in the area.


I started early on my second day and went to Chijmes, a beautiful historic building complex which is now reused as a restaurant and event place. I went there before the restaurants are open, so it was empty. You can explore the whole place and read the history of the building that was displayed in some spots inside the building.



I went to Tiong Bahru afterwards but back to the street again to go to Bras Basah Complex. On the way, I found a signage directing to Bencoolen Mosque so I decided to went there first. But then, at the junction of Victoria Street and Middle Street (where I supposed to cross the road to Bras Basah Complex) I found the National Design Museum, and decided to visit there after Bencoolen Mosque. 

On the way to Bencoolen Mosque
Wisdom found on the way
Inside the National Design Museum
So when you are around the area, you can start with National Design Museum, National Library of Singapore (which is on the other side of the junction), Bras Basah Complex, and Chijmes at the end.

***

The best thing about walking around the neighborhood is finding the unexpected destination on the way. Of course it might not applied everywhere, but since my last walking trip in Seoul (in which I found the city scale-model without being aware of it, best finding ever!), I realize that these unplanned destination brought more joy as you just don't expect it on the first place. And the more joy, the more memorable the travel experience is.

Also, the more I appreciate the unplanned things, the less stress I got from not planning anything in the first place.

Cheers for more fun in future walking trips!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Blog Archive