2017 : Reading

December 29, 2017


In summary, my reading in 2017 has been... bleak (ha!).

I read less than 10 books this year with only 1 that is not fiction. I read more on wattpad though, from fanfiction to novels (and I can actually recommend some stories because it's actually good. Go check them out here : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6). I still haven't read my 3 non-fiction book from my Big Bad Wolf haul last year and there's another 1 I just bought last night, another 2 I order earlier this month and another one I have yet to buy but been wanting to buy since last year.

Looking back at my reading habit at this time of the year makes me realize that I haven't really enjoying reading like I used to. I was occupied with any other things (such as playing candy crush, the guilty pleasure of the year, and maybe the changes that happened in my life; changes of my working place, of my weekend agendas, of my life in general, and so on).


There's also this conversation between me and my friend not so long ago about my reading habit. I was informing her about my recent book purchase and suddenly, she said that she knows the reason on why I read a lot but still clueless about a lot of things. (This is her conclusion since I've been consulting her non-stop about cooking (she kindly video-called me while I was making a trip to the grocery and calling me the whole time I fried my first chicken :"))). She told me, "you read a lot, but you only read fiction (and YA at that), shouldn't you read something with more knowledge on it?"

And I was triggered for a second but then I remember that I've been on the phase in which I was ashamed of my choice of book. I was actually trying to read more articles and 'heavier' books, even non-fiction book (hence my #readingmorediversegenre challenge) to update me on current events and pretty much anything I can update to, but I just can't put my mind into it. And I feel like, I fail; this is just not me.

So I told her that I've read somewhere that I just need to read whatever that makes me happy eventhough other people don't understand why I would be happy reading that. It wasn't a justification, I'd categorize it as me embracing myself. That I don't have to like what everyone else's like and it's alright if people don't really like what I like. And it's not like I didn't gain anything from reading my choice of books. I realize that overtime, I get more perspective, insights, and vocabulary from reading what I like to read.

Just squeeze out the best out of everything, right?

That doesn't mean I don't want to broaden my perspective and knowledge through reading, though. Maybe I can finally start in 2018. But one thing I know, I wouldn't push myself and make me not enjoying a thing I've been doing since I was still a kid. See you and cheers for more reading in the future :).

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Blog Archive