The Tale of Punctuality

April 09, 2018


Recently, I had an appointment, in which I have to be present at a place rather far from my parents' home exactly at 4 pm. I have just arrived at my parents' home that morning, and cut my morning appointment short because of that. I told my mother that I have to leave again in around 2 hours, considering the time I took for the trip.

Nearing the time I told her, my mother urge me to get ready. She said it's possible for me to be late if I didn't get ready from that time. Although lazy, I know she was right. And long story short, I went out 1 hour before the said time and obviously, I was 15 minutes late.

Luckily (?) there's no one who had come except for 1 person.

My mother chat me afterward and the first thing she asked me was whether I was late. I told her, I was late. But I came second and no one came until like... 15 to 20 minutes later. She replied in serious manner that no matter what, the appointment is at 4 o'clock, I should not be late next time.

Later on, I told my mother that the event itself only start 1 or 1 and a half hour later. And it's kinda upsetting because no one who came later than me, seems to see this as a problem while I know I was rushing myself. I told her that sometimes, I had this urge to come on time just to be mean to those who come late. I hate that being on time means sparing my time, feeling less appreciated since that event won't start anyway and it doesn't motivate me to make being punctual a habit.

I hate that being late is normal.

Then my mother said that being punctual is never for other people, it's for myself. She told me that if my only reason to be on time is to pick on those who are late, it doesn't make me doing the right thing either. So what's the difference?

(Singing Ed Sheeran's : my dad was wrong 'cause I'm not like my mom, 'cause she'd just smile and I'm complaining in a song :/)

You know what, she was right as she always is.

That afternoon, she went out from my home 2 hour before her appointment time.

Anyway, I tried to be like her and went out 1 hour and 45 mins before my appointment time later on. When I was on my way, still close to my house, a friend texted me and asked whether I would come.

I told her, sure. I'm currently on my way.

She replied me, woow you're so on time. I will just go later.

Well, punctuality as normalcy is apparently not for everyone.





To be fair, that friend of mine came just several minutes after the appointment time so she wasn't planning on being late either. But my appointment still start 30 minutes after the said time. So I guess it's such a thing that is possible to change overtime :)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Blog Archive