Winter in Korea #2 : 17 Hours on the Go

March 09, 2016


The first thing my aunt said to me when I finally arrived in Busan was, "how come you only arrived now?"

With direct flight, I only need about 8 hours to arrive in Busan. My aunt, whose plane transit in Seoul arrived in Busan less than 12 hours after her departure. My travel time was the longest time yet, it was 17 hours. To be fair, I spend 3 days traveling to Bali 2 years ago, but I was using train (that delays all the time the express train pass the station) and I stopped in Surabaya for more than 12 hours. So yes, 17 hours was too long.

To be honest, I have expected that I need even more time to travel. For my sudden departure, I need to found the cheapest ticket possibly available and I didn't even mind if I have to spend a day for layover. I've been thinking about Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, and even Manila for my stop-over before arriving in Busan, my first stop for my trip, even though to be honest, I was totally nervous because this is my first trip being totally, completely, alone on the go (I don't get lost in cities though, as long as I remember, I got lost in a department store instead -,-).

Buying an open jaw ticket is both risky and also one thing I have always want to try. For this trip, going to Manila first totally save my time and it's even cheaper than a direct flight from Jakarta or flight that requires me to stop in Singapore and Kuala Lumpur. Fortunately, when I was ready to buy the ticket, my friend told me about Cathay Pacific promo for Jakarta - Seoul via Hongkong. The price was waaaaaay cheaper (even though I had to take a KTX to Busan right after arriving) and it's a full service airline! (Means : I don't have to worry about food! Yeay!). I bought the ticket right away and well, I'm ready to go.


The first 5 Hours

My flight departing from Jakarta just 10 minutes after midnight and that brought me to Hongkong first. I met my aunt in the airport just before she had to boarding. I promised to sent her a message everytime I got my phone connected to wi-fi, to make sure that she can pick me up in Busan Station the next day in the evening.

To tell the truth, as soon as she was leaving and my parents went back home (right after I checked in), I feel homesick. I got this feeling of knowing that it will be so much easier for me not to go at all and how crazy I must be for wanting to travel solo. See, the worst part about going is leaving. I lined up for the immigration anyway, almost waiting for the wrong gate (before I double-check my ticket) and fly to Hongkong.

arriving in Hongkong

The Next 8 Hours

The first thing I do when I arrive in Hongkong is going to the toilet. I don't get enough sleep and I need to at least wash my face before continuing on my journey. I've got plenty of time for that, in fact my boarding time for Seoul got delayed a little bit though I still arrived at the right time almost 4 hours later. It's already midday in Seoul when I arrived and the immigration line is super long. My father had always told me to put everything in cabin if possible so I don't waste my time waiting for my luggage, therefore after I'm done with immigration, I went to the information counter as soon as possible, bought my T-Money, and following the direction to the train-transfer station.

arriving in Incheon, going to the all-stop train station
I haven't had my lunch, but it's already 2 PM when I finally board the all-stop train that took me to Seoul Station. There's actually a KTX train from Incheon airport to Busan, but the schedule didn't fit my needs (and it's way more expensive too). So I took it from Seoul Station instead.

The Last 4 hours


making my way to the KTX ticket counter. no more stairs, please
Arriving at the Seoul Station was not easy. I've heard about Seoul Subway System situated very deep under the ground and that was what happened right after I arrived. I need to take several flight of stairs and a verrrry tall escalator to finally see the light (ha!) and made my way to KTX ticket counter.  Haven't bought the ticket online? No worries. The KTX runs very often from Seoul Station to Busan so it's easy to bought the ticket on the spot (can't speak korean was not an excuse, the people in the counter speak english and you only need to say : "KTX to Busan please. One person."). You don't get discounts though (like 3-day pass or youth pass) but I didn't even think about that at that time. The most important thing is to arrive in Busan before it gets dark.

boarding the KTX train
I sent this photo to my friend, her reply was :
"Are you sure you're in Seoul? It looks like Manggarai Station," Well...
I bought my ticket and sat on my seat just about 30 minutes after I arrived in Seoul Station. The train departed not too long after that too. It was a pleasing 2,5 hours journey (I got to sleep on my way) and I arrived in Busan right at 17.59 KST (not even one minute less or more). And so that completes my 17 Hours on the go.

My ticket. Right on time. :)
I met my aunt near the ticket counter in Busan Station and ate at an Indian restaurant before we went to her hotel. The holiday is about to begin! See you in number #3!

Hello, there, Busan!



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Blog Archive